Digital security refers to keeping us, our information, and our digital devices secure from outside threats. These issues affect everyone – teens, families and even whole online communities. Online security issues can be divided into three categories:
- scams and identity theft
- viruses and spyware, and
- companies tracking users
What can you do to help prevent these things from happening?
Help your children to do the following:
1. Create strong passwords
2. Think carefully about what they download
3. Only share information with people they actually know and can trust
4. Be aware of what phishing and clickjacking looks like to avoid being tricked
5. Always have good security installed
6. Examine website's privacy policies
7. Disable cookies on browsers
Here is an article on clickjacking to give you more information about this ever-growing security issue. Read the article How I Got Clickjacked.
Information on schemes and scams with internet security can be found in this document from Common Sense Media: Common Sense on Online Security.